Fix Homelessness How to rebuild human lives
Category

Street Report

Chinatown Celebration

Huge Win for Chinatown: King County Disbands Plans for Homeless Megaplex

Historic Win Recapping Saturday’s #Chinatown-ID victory rally, when was the last time you heard about an Asian American community, made up of mostly SENIOR CITIZENS, taking down a King County Executive’s (@kcexec) plan to RAM through a HOMELESS MEGAPLEX? Unprecedented in #Seattle. Coming Together Before Dow capitulated Friday, many #Chinatown-ID residents were extremely disappointed in Democrats for being MIA. But Joe Nguyen and Sharon Tomiko Santos finally showed to put HOMELESS MEGAPLEX on BLAST. @KCGOP being praised for being with #CID since 1st rally. Ongoing Challenges As I was walking to Hing Hay Park on Saturday, I encountered another addict using a doorway to smoke drugs. This is a daily occurrence in #Chinatown-ID. This is why the advocates and seniors Read More ›

Sodo Drug Use

Despite Sweeps, SODO Homeless Crisis Continues to Spiral Out of Control

SODO’s A Mess After multiple sweeps, RV’s/tents back on 3rd Ave/Holgate/Utah Ave. #Seattle CANNOT keep up. Meanwhile trash, crime, drug dealing evident. Why are we allowing HOMELESS addicts to die on our streets? We are losing a GENERATION. He Called It Everyone give Pat Robbins a standing ovation. He said the encampments would return to SODO. And once again, city is paralyzed. NO plan to get in front before these spiral out of control. Think about the tax dollars wasted. It’s All Come Back City is not keeping track of vehicles, but I am. All the same people are back with new additions. This is a mess. I feel for you @Starbucks HQ. The city is allowing RV owners to Read More ›

fh-regret-apologies-no-title

Regret and Apologies

Last week, hundreds of senior citizens from the Chinatown-International District (C-ID) marched into SODO.  Protesting Dow Constantine’s homeless megaplex, they’re worried about the public safety impact on the C-ID, which is just a block away.   During the rally, a homeless couple stopped to give the marchers a piece of their mind. “Go back to your country,” they yelled, leaving the elders stunned by the racist remarks.   “Well, they can go back to their country too,” said community advocate Matt Chan, who didn’t appreciate the verbal attack.  Andrea Suarez with the homeless outreach group We Heart Seattle recognized the couple in the video.  “I was like, no! I’ve known them for over a year. We provided outreach to them initially on Western Avenue,” she said.  She Read More ›

Ewing Park Kayakers

After Sweep, Homeless Use Kayaks to Move to Other Side of Fremont Canal park

Happening Now This morning, city crews preparing to clear homeless encampment at Fremont Canal Park in #Seattle. But one outreach group’s been anticipating this SWEEP, and say they have already taken steps to stay in touch with the people who usually get lost in the shuffle. This is a New One Most of the homeless refused to go into SHARED shelter spaces being offered by outreach workers today after the Fremont encampment sweep in #Seattle. But some got concierge service to their next destination in a KAYAK. The Other Side West Ewing Mini Park is right behind @SeattlePacific on the Queen Anne side of the Lake Washington Ship Canal. It’s now a growing homeless encampment as more people move in Read More ›

CID Megaplext Protest

Tempers Flare as Chinatown Residents Protest New Homeless Megaplex

Happening Now #Chinatown-ID protesters remain outside proposed site of Dow Constantine’s(@kcexec) HOMELESS MEGAPLEX as some community members get a tour. But SENIOR CITIZENS say they don’t care what it’s like inside. What’s the plan if problems spill OUTSIDE into #CID? Angry Confrontation Wow, several people from homeless encampment already on site of Dow Constantine’s(@kcexec) HOMELESS MEGAPLEX are yelling at #Chinatown-ID elders. But they aren’t standing down. Protest organizers say they are not against the homeless. Just at WAR with Dow. Tempers and Racism Flare A homeless person walking back to her encampment just cursed out #Chinatown-ID elders and yelled, “Go back to your country!”

Georgetown RV Lot

Despite Sweeps, RVs Set Up in Seattle’s Georgetown District

Exclusive They’re back! RV’s set up again near 7th Ave S. & S. Fidalgo St in GEORGETOWN after sweep. I’ve obtained surveillance video showing guy removing “ECO-blocks.” Neighbors+biz owners pleading with @seattledot and @MayorofSeattle to enforce. Right Now Entire street was cleared by @seattledot@SeattleSPU@MayorofSeattle a few months ago. I was there when crews moved in. I also saw aftermath when biz owners quietly moved in “ECO-blocks.” Technically illegal to use. This is now a FULL BLOWN street war. The Dude Biz owners say guy with the hat and orange shirt chained up “ECO-blocks” and dragged several to the side of the road so RV’s could move back and park.@seattledot says anyone bringing in these blocks are illegal. What about moving Read More ›

fh-sr15-chinatown

Chinatown Mobilizes Against Homeless Megaplex

Chinatown-International District (C-ID) residents are angry and feel disrespected. Especially the seniors. Instead of enjoying retirement, these grizzled veterans are challenging King County Executive Dow Constantine’s plan to ram through a homeless megaplex with close to 500 beds in nearby SODO. Read More ›
Dow Constantine Presser

Dow Constantine Addresses Chinatown Safety Concerns

Dow Constantine Speaks He dodged my questions last week, but today @kcexec stood in there and responded after I asked him about PUBLIC SAFETY plan around HOMELESS MEGAPLEX. He’s refusing #Chinatown-ID’s request for 6 month moratorium on project. I guess I’m a JOURNALIST again. Major Public Safety Concerns Dow’s response shows there is NO new plan for PUBLIC SAFETY around this HOMELESS MEGAPLEX. Relying on current law enforcement agencies when they’re already down officers is not reassuring. This is what I was referring to. What About Moratorium? Leo Flor is Director of King County Department of Community and Human Services. He’s in charge of getting Dow Constantine’s (@kcexec) HOMELESS MEGAPLEX up and running. Listen to his SPIN when I ask Read More ›

Jonathan Choe Newmax

Jonathan Choe Joins Newsmax to Discuss Potential Homeless Megaplex in Seattle’s Chinatown District

It’s a National Story Did a quick wrap for @newsmax this morning on the WAR being waged by #Chinatown-ID community against Dow Constantine’s (@kcexec) HOMELESS MEGAPLEX. There are so many angles that need digging. More protests on way. Will have another update today. Still No Answers But looking forward to the next opportunity with Dow Constantine.